Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm feeling terrific

I went in for radiation today and for my bone strengthening I.V. (Zometa). Normally that whole procedure would take an hour. Three hours later I’m driving away. That hospital was a busy place today. At least I had a nice visit with my doctor while I was waiting. He said they would probably start my new chemotherapy treatment in a week or so. Hooray ~ that gives me a chance to head down to Arizona for a while.

I smile when the doctors tell me I look good. I tell them, "I always tell sick people they look good too."

Tomorrow morning I’m going to my daughter Mauri’s where we’ll have a swim party with my grandkids. In the afternoon I have my last radiation treatment then I’ll head down to Arizona. Last night I went for a two hour walk with my cousin Daneen. We walked up Provo Canyon passed Bridal Veil Falls and saw the remains of the fire that lasted for two weeks during the end of July and beginning of August. I’m glad the fire has finally stopped but it took with it some historical landmarks. No silly, not the waterfalls… they’re still there!

I’m feeling terrific. Normally the bone strengthening makes my bones ache for a couple of days but the last few months I haven’t noticed it. Maybe my pain tolerance is rising.

Thank you, thank you so much for all your kind messages, emails, phone calls, and visits. YOU ALL ARE FABULOUS!!!

For those who are planning on coming to my BYU graduation, don’t pack your bags quite yet. Even though I only have four classes left, I only take one class a semester! I don’t know how the kids do it these days. They take four or five classes a semester and still have a social life on top of that. Do they study? I certainly study harder now compared to the study habits I had when I first attended BYU. I can only focus on one class at a time.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Darla, Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated. Terry called me last night, but I haven't gotten back to her yet, but she wanted to know if I'd spoken to you. I hope you shared this blog with her. I am writing this, now I hope I can get it posted to you. Please tell our cousin, Daneen, "hi" from me. I'd love to be walking with you two - it's so lovely there. Sounds like you're busy enjoying your family - that always makes me happy. I know what you mean about the class schedule - it took me 12 years to get my B.A. Just two weeks ago, I finally threw out all my old college papers - too bad - maybe you could have used some? Well, I love you and am praying for you.

Love, Sharon

The Faller's! said...

Darla, first of all, you are AWESOME and we love you. I just wanted you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and along with this blog my mom keeps us updated on how things are going. Have a great time in AZ and good luck with EVERYTHING when you get home! We are cheering for you, along with everyone else!!!!

Miriam said...

What an example you are to all of us. Thanks for doing this blog so we can keep tabs on you. My prayers are with you. Keep the good attitude--we all need to learn from you.
Love, Miriam
I'll email you and see when I can come visit you.

Anonymous said...

Darla, I know YOU are fabulous and a wonderful example to all of us. You are in our prayers and we know you are the best inspiration in the world as you share your story with us. You have been a blessing to my life and will continue to be a cherished friend. Love, Arlea