Sunday, August 31, 2008

If wishes could come true...

I had a wonderful eleven days in Arizona. I spent time with my daughter Jenna and her family in St. Johns. And time with my son Daniel and his family in Phoenix. If wishes could come true I would wish for all my kids to live closer together. Not only so they could enjoy time with each other but also, selfishly, so I could see the whole family often. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with my Arizona families but I had to hold back tears of sadness when it was time to leave. I wish they lived closer to me.

My family is the light of my life. When I first had surgery to remove the cancer found in April of 2006 my son Daniel and his wife Holly stayed with me, waking up in the middle of the night to give me medication and take care of the tubes left in my body from the surgery. Holly was just finishing finals and within days of graduating from BYU, plus she was seven months pregnant. When I returned home from my mission to Boston in March of this year my daughter Mauri and her two girls came by every day to bring me a limeade from Sonic, wash my hair, pick up prescriptions, or just let those two precious girls, ages 2 and 3 1/2, jump on the bed with me in it. That’s what life’s all about! Mauri was eight months pregnant. A month later my daughter Jenna came up from St. Johns, Arizona with her two kids to not only help me but also help her sister who was ready to have her baby any day. How grateful I am that we’re all there for one another. Than there is my mom and dad, both there for me when I returned home from Boston. My mom stayed with me for a month driving me to radiation every day. Driving me to every doctor’s appointment almost on a daily basis. Bringing me every meal in bed. She tag teamed with my dad and than he took over taking care of me. What would I do without my family?

As I sat in church today and looked around at my ward congregation, I counted my blessings. What a miracle these amazing people are in my life. They too are my family, with loving support, words of encouragement, phone calls, and care. What would I do without them?

Tomorrow is Labor Day and I’ll contact my doctor the following day, on Tuesday so I can get my prescription to start my next type of chemotherapy. We’ll give it a try for six weeks and see how it does. Why are so many people dieing of cancer? Why is it so prevalent? Is it a test?

As I drove home from Arizona yesterday I had a CD in the car playing a song with words that touched me. Thought I’d like to share it:

“I place my trust in Him alone. He knows the yearnings of my soul. Because He believes in me, I will go willingly. How can I keep this gift to myself, when I can lift somebody else? I am a witness of His miracles and His mercy. I put my future in His hands, knowing He’s made me all I am. When I put my faith in Him the truth begins to speak. His power is real; it moves me until I will not be still.”

My dear friend Judy sent me a quote the other day that I also liked, “God doesn’t promise us tomorrow, but He does promise us eternity.”

My daughter Jenna and her husband Jared spoke in church last Sunday on gratitude. Jared said, how grateful he was to have the opportunity to speak because it caused him to think about gratitude all week and recognize all the things he was grateful for. He challenged everybody to act as if they were asked to speak on gratitude the next Sunday just so they could contemplate what they were grateful for all week long. I feel the same way about dieing. If you thought you were going to die next week how would you live your life? What would be some of the thoughts on your mind? How would you act towards others?

5 comments:

duff said...

I'm glad you had a good trip and you're right it is nice to have family all around. There was a time when we were all scattered--no one was here--I hope to someday get Jeff here or at the very least out west. I have thought a lot about cancer too and wondered, but you are going to beat this--my cousin just came through pancreatic cancer (which has a very slim chance of survival) so I know you can do it too. Love you--Deanna

Anne said...

I am so happy that you had such a good time in Arizona. My grandpa actually grew up in St. Johns. It is a neat little town. Are you going to be able to come up to the ranch this weekend? I sure would love to see you. But if not, I might just have to come down to Provo one of these days and take you to lunch.
Your attitude about everything reminds me of a story I read once. It talks about how bad things happen to good people and how we often wonder why. The author said that when this happens we need to erect a sign that says "Quit, God at work." I can see you quietly making your sign. And it is so true. Sometimes the bad things turn out to be our greatest blessings. I know that your example has already blessed my life and I know that you are blessing the lives of others. Well I sure do love you and it was great to see you at McBride's wedding reception. You looked great:) And I am not just saying that.

Gary B said...

"If wishes could come true..." No doubt those selfless, loving children of yours are "wishing" (hoping, praying, fasting) that their little ones will have a wise, caring, loving, devoted grandmother for years and years to come. Plan to beat this thing for them.
We all admire your faith and consistency Darla. Thanks for the great example and setting the bar so high.
Lots of love, Gary

Sharon said...

Darla, my darling cousin, how grateful I am for you and what joy you bring to your family and friends - what blessing and testimony to our precious Lord and Savior and who He is and what He does daily in our lives. I don't know whether all families feel like you do about yours, but I feel the same. All through my recouperation period and especially before my surgeries with Stacie and Melinda by my side encouraging me - my husband and my friend Suzy, my church, my boss and the guys around me - all encouraging and smiling and helping me as I cried - I was so scared, but I learned something that maybe you feel too - appreciation. Daily, moment by moment I thank the Lord for keeping me and teaching me and loving me and letting me experience family - they are so precious. Do you think we learned this from our grandparents and parents or Heavenly Father - or all of them? This appreciation for life and family and friends and how precious it all is and how blessed we are! I love you my dear and am praying for you. It's been so long since we've been close enough to visit in person, but you keep doing good so I can do that very thing when I retire in March 09. You me, Daneen, Terri, we'll all have our own mini girls retreat and laugh and share the memories we have.

Love you - Sharon

barryblog said...

The plan of salvation is truely a blessing for us all. I feel much differently about the topic of death since we lost our baby last month. I am happy to read that you are thinking about death with the right perspective in mind. Hopefully you have many more years of happiness with your fabulous family before you have to face it. You will be in my heart and prayers.
-Scottee