Thursday, August 14, 2008

Where it all started

In April of 2006 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The doctor performed a lumpectomy and felt like he got a clear margin. I heard at that time one out of every eight women get breast cancer. I was gathering anybody who wanted to be in my circle of eight so I could take one for the team. Everybody has cancer cells in their body. However, in my situation you just don’t know if there were cancer cells in other parts of my body already developing. I did not do any type of chemotherapy or radiation. A year and a half went by and I started feeling pain in my back. I thought I had simply overextended myself and felt a little rest would relieve the pain. Two and a half months later I was still feeling the pain and it was getting worse. I went to several doctors and got several x-rays and ultrasounds. They couldn’t figure out what was wrong. By March of 2008 I decided to do an MRI. By that point I couldn’t even get out of bed. Standing, sitting, or walking was excruciating and I could only do that for about 30 seconds before I had to lay down. Lying flat was my only source of relief. The word ‘excruciating’ had never entered my vocabulary before. The MRI showed I had a crushed vertebrae. No wonder why I was feeling so much pain when I stood. My back couldn’t hold the pressure of standing. Realizing at that point the cancer was back, no pun intended. It had eaten away at the vertebrae. Surgery was performed to put a little dollop of “cement” in that vertebrae. Oh, that felt much better. Two months after the surgery the pain was almost gone.

Right after the cement surgery I had a PET Scan to see the extent of how much cancer was in my body. It was in my spine, right hip, and neck. I had four weeks of radiation in my spine and started Zometa a bone strengthening injection and Fulvestrant a monthly cancer treatment shot. The cancer count was going down from March to July. But by August it went back up. Another PET Scan (on August 4) found it was now eating away at my right hip and in my lungs and liver. The doctors were fearful I would break my hip so they immediately started radiation on my right hip.

That brings us to today. The radiation lasts ten days, I’m seven days into it. I’m feeling better, I don’t have as much pain in my hip. I really didn’t have much pain to begin with, I only noticed pain if I would pivot on it wrong. I had a visit with my doctor today to find out now what type of chemotherapy we should start. My hopes were high and I felt optimistic. My daughter Mauri went with me to the doctor. We had our pad of paper with all our questions ready. Sometime next week, he wants to start me on Xeloda. He will continue the Zometa, the bone strengthening injection. Xeloda is chemotherapy in a pill form. There are lots of side effects, like, blisters on the palms of my hands or bottom of my feet, sores in my mouth, and nausea. Attitude wise, I’m ready to tackle this. I feel strong and healthy. I try to walk or ride my bike as often as I can. And the doctor told me to continue my daily regime as long as I don’t feel any pain. So if any of you want to go for a walk or bike ride, give me a call.

Mauri had the wonderful idea to start this blog. I will post as often as I can and express my thoughts and feelings and what's going on in my life.

I don’t know why people are dealt the cards they have but I’ll play this hand and pray for an Ace up my sleeve. Today the doctor told me 50% of people in my situation will die within two years. I however, will be in the second 50% and I’ll still be sitting here in twenty years. I have three children, their spouses, and seven grandchildren. The seventh one will be born in December. I still have lots of baptisms, graduations, and weddings ahead of me. One of those graduations is mine. And you’re all invited!!! I only have four classes left at BYU and I’ll get my Bachelors.

I appreciate all your love, support, and prayers. A person can never have too many friends.

18 comments:

Carolyn said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing your story. You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

When I am in Utah, I will give you a call for that walk or bike ride! You are the best!!!

H Lue said...

You are an amazing woman! Add me to your cheering section!!!
Learning from what others go through can help us all so much -- I truly believe that's part of why we have Relief Society. There isn't a time I don't learn something from someone, even if it's just that I'm not alone in my struggles!
God bless you in your efforts, and know that we're all cheering for you, Darla!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I think of you lots of times each day and wonder how you are doing. This is a wonderful way to find out. My dear companion you are in my prayers always. You are one special person and I love you! Linda

Brad and Jamie Porter said...

Oh my gosh Darla I had no Idea, i am so sorry. Pretty much i just cried reading your story. You are In my prayers and I love you so much....I love remembering all of the memories that we use to have when i was a young woman. I know you will be in the other half of the 50%, your a fighter like my mom :)

Karl and Sandra Jarvis said...

I picture you riding your bike and every time you pedal, I see a hundred cancers cells dying. And then they are replaced by these amazingly strong healthy cells. Hooray for you! you are getting better and better. We love you so much.
Love,
Sandra and Karl

Brenda Cooper said...

Dear Darla,

I just wanted you to know that we love you and we are praying for you. I know Heavenly Father loves you and knows you. He will be with you always. I am praying for your ace. I love you!
Love
Brenda Cooper & Family

Stacie L. said...

Hi Darla
It's Stacie your cousin from California just letting you know I LOVE YOU and we are praying for you. You are amazing and so strong. I love your blog. My mom sent it to me and I will read it and pray.

Love Stacie

Gary B said...

Fight on sis! If the Doc had said 2 or 5 or 10%, there might be some cause for concern. Holy guacamole, 50% is HUGE.

It almost puts us, as your team members, in the precarious position of being too confident. Notwithstanding, we are committed to serving up daily prayers on your behalf which are "yearning" to the Nth power.

Lots of love honey.

Unknown said...

Way to go Darla! Keep that incredible positive attitude! We are sure you will come through this new trial with flying colors. Can't believe all you have been through these past few months! We're so thankful for our association in Massachusetts. We pray for your recovery.

Queen Bee said...

Darla, I'll be thinking of you (my missionary lifeline) and keeping you in my prayers. The Onkens are pulling for you!! xoxo Debi

Anne said...

Man, I sure do love you! Your blog is great and am excited to hear about all the wonderful things that you are doing in your life. You are my star and ultimate example! I for sure want to come to your graduation. Send me the info and I will mark it down on my calendar!
sis.richey

Unknown said...

You are such an inspiration to those of us who are privileged to know you. If I were in riding distance I would be there every day to ride our bikes together. I truly love you Darla and pray for every day. I know the Lord will bless you because of your service to him and your strong conviction of the gospel. Thank you for the days you have brightened for me with your phone calls and positive outlook.

Debbie Russo said...

Darla,
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Debbie

Amy Daniel said...

You are an amazing woman. Some of my fondest memories were in your seminary class. I look up to you so much and will keep you in my prayers!

Unknown said...

Darla, thanks for sharing your story. I learn to be stronger through people like you. You are such a lovely lady. It's an honor to know you. Keep on bikin'. You're the best!

Miriam said...

If there is one thing I learned about you, when we were single friends, neighbors, and VT companions, it's that you have a lot of faith. I know the Lord is very involved in your life and I know you are close to him. No one sweeter than you. You are teaching us! Thanks,
Love Miriam

Kathie said...

Sister Colten! It's me, Kathie (Bowler) Bennion! I can't believe you, AND my mom with cancer? Who's in charge around here!?!?!? I've been married 11 years now, and have 3 kids -- but I can still remember Rindercella, and the most amazing and testimony strengthening lessons from you during YW on Sunday, and girls camp and class presidency meetings. I always wanted to be just like you! Reading your blog I see you are STILL amazing, even through the most difficult of trials. I am so grateful that somehow Mauri's comment on my mom's blog led me to yours to remind me how much I love and admire you, and to draw strength from your spirit. I love you tons!!! (Sorry that was ridiculously long!) My blog is www.backwithtalesofadventure.blogspot.com)