Saturday, October 3, 2009

strength.


My mom has the strength of a rock, and this week she continued to show that strength as we were able to visit Mt. Rushmore with her. Daniel had asked what was something she would want to do while she still had the strength and she said she had always wanted to go to Mt Rushmore, so the airlines tickets were bought and we were on our way. We were able to see Mt Rushmore as well as Crazy Horse.

Those whose faces are on that mountain became who they were and accomplished all they did in part because of the trials in their lives, those who worked on the mountain accomplished this great monument with trials of their own... and my mom is the woman she is and has helped shape us all into who we are because of the trials she has been chosen to go through.
Just as in this picture above we must always be connected to Christ and the Gospel with ropes and harnesses and continue to face our life...slowing working through the trials until we can look on our lives and see the masterpiece that has been created.
Many men and women have made sacrifices to make this country to what it is today just as Mom has made so many sacrifices to make our family what it is today.
We will always be thankful for her and what she has taught us, for her strength for her love and for the rock of her testimony.

We were able to take the trip just in time for the weather in South Dakota to turn as well as the way mom was feeling.

She is consistently but somewhat reluctantly taking her pain medicine. She is awake a lot less and we hold on to the moments she is awake with all we have. Although she, herself, is not up for visitors or calls we are conveying all of your love, thoughts and well wishes to Mom and they all mean so much to her.

As her daughter I just want you all to know how much we, as her children, also appreciate all of your love and support for our mom. Thank you for the emails, cards, flowers, comments on the blog and facebook, calls, comfort food and visits. It al means SO much. thank you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear friend Darla, I just want you to know how much I love you and appreciated your rays of sunshine on our mission. My life has truly been blessed by knowing and serving with you for a short time. You definitely are a rock! :) A rock of light wherever you go!

Beth Merrill said...

Darla! What an amazing woman you are - to graduate from BYU and go to Mt.Rushmore all in this week! Wow!!! What a fabulous accomplishment! Congratulations on your graduation. I remember when you were just starting to work on that degree and now - you did it! Along with that are many happy memories working with you in RS - we surely put on a lot of dinners - you did a super job and always provided the wonderful rolls. I'm so glad I know you - you are a delightful friend.
Love, Beth

The Hungry Homemaker said...

We think about you everyday, we love you, and so glad you had a safe trip, and made it back well. You are so strong and such an example. We love you

Alicen Nielsen said...

Dear Darla,
Your's was always the first Christmas card I got, every year. You were the first person to tell me you were glad I was born on my birthday and you and I first went back to college together (remember sign language class?). Now you have graduated and I'm still slogging along in college, even if it is in paradise.
I wish I could say congratulations in person but more than that, I wish that I could hold your hand and look in your eyes as I told you goodbye. I want to tell you that I love you and happy birthday on the 21st and that I am ever so glad that you were born.
Glide on to your post, post graduate work in Paradise knowing that you have loved well and been well loved. You have accomplished your goals with your children, they are smart, independent, and strong in the gospel. You have been a cherished friend and for me, the hole you will leave in my heart won't be filled until we are reunited, adieu, my dear brave friend.

Todd and Wendy said...

I LOVE YOU CARLA DOLTON!!!!!!

Wendy Bowler Larson

Rebecca Carter said...

Dear Daniel, Mauri and Jenna,

As you read the posts to your dear mother, please know how grateful I am that Harvey and I, along with Jeff, VeNicia and Ryan could stop by yesterday.

What a great blessing it was to hold you mom's hand, to give her a tender kiss on her forehead and to wish her well as she crosses over to the other side of heaven.

We love your family all so very much! We are praying that you will feel the peace of heaven in your hearts at this time.

We love you all ~

Amanda said...

Darla, you are always in my thoughts. We love you so much, you are such and amazing woman and such an amazing example. I feel so very blessed to have become friends with you.