Sunday, February 8, 2009

Take The Good With The Bad

A few months ago my cousin, Daneen, and I decided to join a performance dance team. It's called the Golden Girls and it's for women about my age and older. We talked about it for months and even went to a half-time show the Golden Girls were performing at, we could hardly wait until January when we could join the group. We would be attending the dance practices 1 - 3 times a week, getting great exercise, traveling with the team to not only shows in the state but also out of state, but mostly being with each other, laughing, and having a good time. I was out of town during the month of January so Daneen attended without me, started learning the dance steps, and took good notes for me so I could pick right up as soon as I got back into town.

The long awaited day finally arrived. I got back home and promptly rode off with Daneen to my first practice. What a great time we had, we laughed, got great exercise, and talked about how much fun we would have traveling with the other dancers to parades, half-time shows, and various performances.

It wasn't that strenuous of a workout but to my surprise I fractured a rib. I had cracked that same rib about a year ago, yet painful, there isn't a lot you can do with a fractured rib, but just be careful with it. However this time, within two days I found I had a hard time breathing and the pain continued to elevate. By Thursday morning I had my daughter take me into the emergency room because it seemed so much different then the time before.

Thus, you do get the good with the bad... As much fun as I was having with my new found dance team, I also found more cancer. Now with cancer in my ribs I will be starting more radiation tomorrow. And by the end of the week my oncologist will probably be switching me to another type of chemotherapy.

I do feel great otherwise. The rib is painful but I am starting to breath easier.

6 comments:

Shelise said...

Best wishes to you. It is always sad to hear what you have to go through. Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Darn it! I will put your name in the temple Thursday. So sorry. Love ya

Hinkson Family said...

Hi Darla,

I found your blog through Trisha Read. It's fun to catch up, even though we live less then a mile away from each other. I just started a blog. hinksonhome.blogspot.com. I have two little girls now, you can see their pictures on the blog.

Julie HInkson

Amanda said...

You are always in my prayers!

Gramma Cheryl said...

Ouch, oh wow Darla...again?!? My dear friend, I'm so sorry you have to go through this again. My love, thoughts and prayers continue to be with you. I think of you often, check your blog often, and admire all you're trying to do. Much love, Cheryl

Trisha Read said...

I'm sorry Darla! You just remind me of the Engergizer Bunny though. No matter what you have to go through, you just keep on going and going and going!
I hope you get rid of it this time and you feel okay during the chemo! We love you!