Friday, February 20, 2009

We're In This Together

The warm weather today is refreshing. The tulips are starting to break through the ground. And I'm enjoying spring in the air.

I have finished the current radiation on my rib and the rib feels quite a bit better. I will be starting a new chemotherapy on March 11 called Abraxane. My son offered to shave his head as a support and my daughters both offered to donate their hair for a fun wig. That would give me a beautiful brunette/auburn look.

This is the fourth series of radiation I have completed in the past eleven months. After each completion I receive a 'certificate of completion' and a bottle of Martinelli's. I guess that means I'm supposed to celebrate. Anyone ready to come celebrate with me?

I did have a moment of emotion today as I went back to the hospital for the third appointment of the day. I think it was just a moment of frustration realizing this is starting to run my life. Maybe "starting" isn't the right word, since I've had this cancer for three years now. Maybe it's more because the day is beautiful and I would rather be outside enjoying the sun on my face instead of inside seeing doctors day after day. My doctors are great and I know they care about me and are providing the best treatment possible.

I have had two chances to participate in research treatments for which I am grateful. I know if it weren't for wonderful people who have donated money to help find a cure for cancer that these various types of research wouldn't be available. For me, for my daughters, for my daughters daughters, and for all those who I know and love, and not to mention hundreds of thousands of women (and men) who will, in one way or another, be touched by cancer. Either for themselves or those they love. I know my own family has been on an emotional roller coaster and have been greatly educated with cancer and all it's repercussions. They have been a wonderful support to me and I love them dearly.

As you know I will be walking 60 miles again this November to help raise money for the Susan G. Komen cancer walk for the cure for breast cancer. When it comes to asking people for donations such as this, it is always hard for me. Especially since my daughters and I walked last year and now I'm back again trying to raise money for cancer research again this year. It's hard for me but it's worthwhile for all of us. So if you can and would be willing to help; I can't tell you how much I would appreciate your support this year. Click on the link at the top of the page and it will lead you to the donation page. THANK YOU so very much for all your support, not only for this but especially for all your prayers, love, kindness, and support on my behalf.

This is a picture of my daughters and I from last year's walk. Also see my post from November 17, 2008.



Together we will all carry on, one day at a time.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Bless you, Darla. You are always in my thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

I love you, dear sister