Thursday, July 30, 2009

Napping In The ER

Just a small update... Tuesday I woke up with pain in my neck, shoulder, and back area. I thought I probably just slept on it wrong and asked Mauri to rub it and I was sure that would help. Mauri being the doting daughter that she is said, "no way am I touching you, I'm taking you to the emergency room." In to the ER we went as the pain continued to get worse and worse. Apparently the tumors in my liver which are continuing to grow were causing pressure on my diaphragm which in turn causes pain in my shoulder. Go figure! Thank goodness for that wonderful pain medicine dilaudid, I went right to sleep and didn't feel a thing. Fortunately Mauri and my dad were in the emergency room with me and were able to listen to and talk with the doctors. They also found more tumors on the back of my neck.

As my seminary students would tell you, I have always tried to be fair, I never wanted to see one team beat the other team in a class contest. Ending the game in a tie was my ideal. So I continue with the cancer in my body, why let one area have more tumors than another area? Let's spread them around, no reason the back of my neck shouldn't have a tumor if the front of my neck already has one.

So I will start the new chemotherapy, Gemcitabine, tomorrow.

On the lighter side... my hair is starting to grow back! I still wish it were more fashionable to be seen in public with a buzz cut. Somebody didn't teach those men how to play that fair game, why can they go out in public with a shaved head and a woman can't?

Family update: My wonderful son Daniel finished taking the Arizona Bar yesterday after two long days of tests and two long months of 24 hour a day studying and three years of law school. Congratulations Daniel! He'll get the results in October.

8 comments:

Burnett Family said...

Oh man, sorry to hear the news. I am glad Mauri and Grandpa where there to take you in! We're still thinking about ya and praying for ya. You're are awesome, we love you.

Gramma Cheryl said...

Oh, wow Darla. That's awful! It's so unfair when you're being so upbeat and positive, and keep trying to beat this stuff. Dear friend, I love ya and we'll be praying for you!

Grandma Rosanne said...

Dear Darla. That is the best description for you. Thanks you so very much for the beautiful pitcher you gave my son for his wedding. I was over to his house when he unwrapped it after the honeymoon. A little tear came knowing of the struggle you are having, yet you continue to think and care about others. You are in our prayers. It was so good to see your beautiful smile in the pictures on your blog. We have much love and concern for you.

Anonymous said...

Honey, your humor and positive attitude are an inspiration to all of us. At our retreat, I was so blessed by your laughter and joy about so many things in life. You teach each one of us how to really "live" and smile while we are doing it. You're always in my prayers as you go through this tough situation. I love you so much!

Anonymous said...

That was you inept cousin who left the "anonymous" statement cause I checked the wrong button because its the only one that works, I fogot my password. Love you, Sharon

Unknown said...

Pure stinkage about the tumors. I guess it will be fair when you knock them ALL out at the same time. I'll be thinking of you. You are a strong woman, and I KNOW you can get through this. BIG HUGS.

Brenda Cooper said...

Thank-you so much for the blog and keeping us all up to date on your family and your health. We love you and we are praying for you! Darla you are such an inspiration to me and to all who know you. You are teaching us all so much about living and about how to face whatever life throws at us. I love you and you are an amazing woman, sister, friend and hero!

Annette said...

You are such a strong and beautiful lady Darla. I think of you and my gosh, what an example of faith, love, and a happy person. I love you!